Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

First Spring Weekend

Posted Apr 08 2013 4:56pm

Hey there! I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to pop in on Friday to share my Favorite Things Friday post with you all! I actually had a ton of fun things lined up to talk about, so I might just post about them tomorrow. Maybe it can be a Favorite Things Tuesday? Haha we will see how it goes!

Anyway, I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Mine was just about as perfect as could be, and I was especially happy since the weather seems to finally be warming up (today it’s 79!! Then tomorrow will be 84, and Wednesday 88!! But then next weekend it’ll be back in the low 60s. DC weather is so strange).

Anyway, enough weather talk. Here’s a look at what I had going on this weekend…


Fridays are usually rest days for Fabio and me, but since we had kickball on Wednesday we had to rearrange our schedule a bit and get a run in after work on Friday. It was only three miles and the weather was beautiful, so I didn’t mind!

We chose our favorite three-mile route which takes us over the Key Bridge and into Georgetown. It’s always so beautiful running along the water and into Georgetown, but it leaves us with a killer hill at the end. Ugh! That hill will be the death of me one of these days.

After our run we debated whether or not we wanted to go out with friends for the night, but after having dinner with my dad on Tuesday, drinking after kickball on Wednesday, and going to a happy hour on Thursday, we were pooped and wanted to save some money. Dinner at home it is!

We couldn’t decide what we wanted to eat, but eventually I remembered seeing a recipe for lightened up sweet and sour chicken on Iowa Girl Eats this past week (which was actually a guest post from Gimme Some Oven , FYI). It looked pretty simple and we had all the ingredients so I went for it!

It came out delicious! I highly recommend this recipe if you are craving Chinese food but are in the mood for something lighter (and cheaper!)


We spent the rest of the evening vegging out on the couch catching up on some TV. We are finally up to season 7 of Dexter! One of these days we’ll be all caught up lol.


First thing Saturday morning, Fabio and I set out for our long run- this time for 8 miles!

It was a beautiful day (the first of the year, it seems like) and it was absolutely gorgeous weather for running (not too hot or too cold).

Our route took us past the  Iwo Jima memorial and Arlington Cemetery…

Then across the Arlington Memorial Bridge to the Jefferson Memorial, where we turned and started heading toward the Tidal Basin.

For those of you who don’t know, the Tidal Basin is the lake (I guess it’s a lake?) that is surrounded by the famous cherry blossom trees. Although this was technically the second weekend of the annual cherry blossom festival, the flowers are only just starting to come out and aren’t at their peak yet. I bet by later this week they will be beautiful!

Hello from the Tidal Basin!

Fabio and I don’t usually stop to take pictures during our runs, but it was such a nice day and we were in a scenic area, so we decided it was worth it to stop for a few seconds. I didn’t want to regret not having pictures later on!

After running around the Tidal Basin and seeing the cherry blossoms, we ran along the Potomac River by the Georgetown waterfront. It was absolutely beautiful and I couldn’t have asked for a better day for running. It was wonderful.

Our pace wasn’t great, however we did have to tackle a few steeeeep hills so it could have been worse. Not a bad run!

Once we got home, we quickly showered up and got ready to head over to a BBQ at Fabio’s coworker’s house! I had about an hour to kill before the BBQ, so I decided to whip up some chocolate chunk cookies using some dark chocolate leftover from Valentine’s Day .

I had to taste one of course (omg so good) but then we packaged the rest up for the BBQ. I cannot be trusted with cookies around the house lol!

Soon it was time for the BBQ!

Anyone spot the photobomber in the back seat?

It was a beautiful day and I couldn’t wait to spend more time outside.

When we arrived, Fabio’s coworker Jeremy, the host, had a keg, beer pong, and corn hole all set up. My kind of BBQ! Jack was able to come with us and he had a great time running around with Oscar (a boxer mix) and Eddie (a cocker spaniel).

While the dogs sniffed around (I don’t know why they look so calm in that picture; they were really rambunctious the rest of the time!), the adults had a blast playing drinking games and hanging out in the back yard.

I had a hamburger (they didn’t have any cheese?!) and then later, a hot dog. Everything was deeeee-lish.

Gotta love BBQs.

Fabio and I wound up staying until around 9:00, at which point Fabio, our DD, drove us home. When we got back I immediately drank a ton of water…I didn’t want to be hungover the next day! We spent the rest of the evening relaxing at home and watching old movies (Space Jam, what?!)


The next morning Fabio and tackled our three mile run nice and early to get it out of the way.

Another good run out of the way!

When we got home I whipped up some Greek yogurt pancakes (with whole wheat flour) using this recipe .

Yummmm…they were so good. I like to make my pancakes small (kind of like silver dollar pancakes) so that I can eat twice as many and feel like I’m really getting something ;) haha! Am I the only one who does that?

After breakfast Fabio and I hung out for a bit doing some chores, and then it was time to head over to my little sister’s lacrosse game!

She is number 13 on the pink team, in case you couldn’t tell ;)

It was a beauuuutiful day, and Fabio and I had a great time sitting with my dad (and Jack) watching the girls play.

I tried to get a picture with Jack…

It only sort of worked haha!

Here I am with my mini lacrosse superstar!!

Go Nicole!!

After the game we headed to my dad’s house and decided to take our bikes for a spin :) We probably went about 1.5 miles and tackled another huuuuge hill (this one might even be worse than the one near my apartment!). Even though we only biked for a short time, I definitely worked up a sweat.

When we got back to the house we found that the dogs were in the pool!

I’m not sure why this surprised me since they are always swimming in the pool in the summer haha. Silly dogs!

Then it was time for dinner :) My dad grilled up some steaks; my stepmom made green beans, asparagus, and garlic bread; and I was in charge of roasting the potatoes. Group effort for the win!

We finished up with some turtle cheesecake, which I inhaled. So good.

After dinner we headed back home to Arlington and, after doing a bit of reading, I passed out. Literally. I was exhausted. Guess all the activity from this weekend really wore me out!

Question of the day: Is the weather nice where you live yet?


Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches