Easy Apple Tart with Vanilla Custard
230g plain flour 170g (raw) caster sugar 1/2 tablespoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla 100g butter, melted 200ml sour cream
3 apples, cored and sliced cinnamon, to taste
250ml milk 1 egg yolk 1/2 tablespoon potato flour* 1 tablespoon (raw) caster sugar 1/4 teaspoon pure ground vanilla
* potato starch is sold as potato flour in Australia.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C and grease a pie dish (25cm).
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and vanilla in a bowl. Add melted, cooled butter and sour cream and stir until smooth. Spread on the bottom and sides of the dish (wet spoon works well for this).
3. Top the base with apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon (and extra sugar if you wish).
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before serving.
5. For the custard, add all ingredients to a saucepan and whisk well to combine. Place on medium heat, then whisk continuously until the mixture thickens. Take off the heat and serve warm with the apple tart.