I’ve got a great guest post from Jessica today- she is such a lovely gal with such a lovely blog and I’m excited for you guys to meet her- woohoo!
Hi Moves ‘n Munchies fans, I am Jessica over at Dishin’ About Nutrition , a blog dedicated to healthy living and filled with recipes, workouts, advice and tips for leading a healthy lifestyle. Big thanks to Carrie for letting me share a little bit about myself with her faithful, adoring readers! About me:I am originally from Minnesota, went to college in Indiana (any IU Hoosiers?), and now I live in beautiful Chicago where I work at a public relations firm and live with my boyfriend, Corey and our two dogs, Mr. Big and Lola.
My mom is my absolute best friend. She is a certified personal trainer, marathon runner and just recently got her yoga training license. Soooo I guess you could say I’m a chip off the ol’ block!
I have one sibling, an older sister. She is blind and autistic and I firmly believe that growing up with her made me the person I am today. She has taught me so much about myself and continues to amaze me and everyone around her everyday. When she was a baby doctors said she would never be able to talk, walk, or eat solid food. Well, today she can not only walk but she can swim, ride horses and on occasion “run” while holding my hand. She can also talk, very well as a matter a fact, sometimes you can’t get her to shut up! And last time I checked, eating was her favorite thing to do. Cheeseburgers, pasta and her favorite cheesecake! You name it, she’s probably eaten it. I am so blessed to have her in my life and I have made it a personal goal of mine to raise awareness about autism.
Why I blog: Well to make a long story short, I gained the Freshman 15 (or rather 30 in my case…). Yep I ate and drank more than any human being should ever be allowed, I stayed up way too late, I made very poor food choices, and the only exercise I got was lifting my hand up to my mouth, with a slice of pizza in it (a la Ranch dressing). Needless to say, my booty was the size of Texas in a matter of months. When I came home for summer mommy dearest was ready and waiting, determined to get me back in shape. Let me just say, army bootcamp seemed like the easy way out compared to the hell she put me through. But one by one, those hard earned pounds started slipping off and I learned that my body is capable of amazing things. She taught me the importance of health and treating my body with respect, “like a well-oiled machine” she always says. Thinking of all the girls (and guys) that experience a massive weight-gain their first year of college made me wonder if there was a way I could help others avoid going through this. So began my blogging. A way, I thought, for me to lend advice through my personal experiences so that others didn’t have to make the same mistakes that I did. Ever since sophomore year I have learned to appreciate health and fitness and enjoy how it makes me feel. Here are a few of my favorite workout posts I have done in the past: Cardio at Home , Best Ab Exercises , Spring Slim Down – Upper Body , Lower Body , Abs .
Why I continue to blog: Well it was only a few years ago that I could hardly boil an egg, I kid you not. “Cooking” to me, was putting something in the microwave. Since researching and learning more about nutrition and how food can help fuel your body, I have become quite a fan of cooking. I love trying new recipes, with fresh ingredients, and having an appreciation for the food I put in my mouth rather than shoving whatever I can find in my mouth and hoping for the best! Recently though, this blog has become a community. I have met so many great people through this tight-knit foodie blogger group of ours who all have similar interests as I do. I have a blast tweeting with you guys, sharing stories and reading about your good eats, great recipes and fun times. Here are a few of my favorite recipes:
Healthy Chicken ParmesanRandom Facts:
1. I eat chocolate everyday! I usually have one square of dark chocolate (75% or more cocoa) but occasionally I will splurge on some other chocolatey goodness. Life is too short to deprive yourself which is why I always preach “diet’s don’t work”. If you love chocolate as much as I do, you will find a way to make it fit your lifestyle rather than trying to cut it out completely.
2. I have a fear of feet. I don’t know how or why it started, I just always remember hating feet. I will wake out of a dead sleep if someone so much as grazes me with their toe. My boyfriend finds this particularly amusing when I am being a bed hog, I don’t think it’s funny in the least bit…..
3. I am double jointed in both of my thumbs. Growing up I thought this was the coolest talent in the world, until I found out a ton of other people are double jointed as well. I still like to think it makes me special
4. I hate ketchup. –Queue the gasping– I can’t tell you how much CRAP I have gotten about this over the years. It’s as if I am the only human being in the world that doesn’t like it. It actually repulses me. I won’t eat a piece of food if there is ketchup on it. I must have had a bad experience with a hot dog as a child or something because apparently it’s not normal to dislike ketchup. I digress.
5. I love wine. But only Cabernet. Not Merlot, not even a blend of red wine with cab in it. I am hands down the biggest cab snob I know. It’s terribly inconvenient. Most of the time it’s one of the most expensive glasses on the menu, or people don’t have it at their house and say, “sorry I don’t have Cab but is Merlot ok?” Unfortunately for me it is not, and it makes me feel rude but I will not, under any circumstance drink Merlot. If you’ve ever seen the movie Sideways, this may sounds freakishly familiar. It is true though, Merlot tastes like dirty dish water, just sayin’. (I may or may not have a sign stating the house rules for wine in our apartment…)
6. I am a total shoes horse. Shoes to me are the perfect accessory. They always fit (even on fat days) and they make you walk with more confidence, especially the really high ones! I was notorious for wearing heels everyday in high school (while my peers strolled around in sweats). Below is a pic of one of the closets in our apartment (we have 4 huge closets which is a lot especially by city living standards – each have some of my shoes). This is about 1/14th of my entire shoe collection. The rest are stowed in boxes, under beds, I even had to leave some back in Minni because we just didn’t have room! I swear to you though, I love each and every one of them, even if I’ve only worn them once!
7. Favorites: My favorite flower is either the orchid or the lily. My favorite color is green, sometimes purple. My favorite artist right now is Boyce Avenue but I always have a special place in my heart for B Spears, crazy or not. I could never pick a favorite food but I have been enjoying sweet potatoes and kale a lot lately.
8. My BF is a pro wakeboarder, or was, I guess I should say. Before I met him, he rode for many years and won all kinds of tournaments and got a sponsorship by a huge wake boarding company. Two years ago he tore his ACL trying a new trick and was completely devastated. When we met last year he had just recovered from his surgery and was out doing flips and what not and did it again, a thousand times worse this time. His riding days might be over but that didn’t stop him from getting me behind the boat this summer….several failed attempts led to one big victory lap and it was lots of fun but…I like my knees. I don’t see myself going pro. (CAUTION – graphic photo below)
9. I have never broken a bone, gotten stitches, or been seriously injured. Actually, that’s not true. I broke a small piece of bone off of my middle finger while rollerblading two years ago. I tripped over a stick but luckily I was wearing wrist guards, part of my finger is the only thing I broke. The doc said I would have broken my arm or wrist otherwise. They may look dorky but hey, all in the name of safety, right?! 10. I play hockey, relatively well actually. I played in high school and growing up in Minnesota, it’s kind of a given. My cousin was the captain for Michigan State University a few years ago when they won the frozen four, my other cousin played at a local college and both of my parents play. You could say hockey is in my blood. Below is a picture from our family pond hockey tourney in our backyard. I’m the one with the blonde pony tail
Thank you again to Carrie for having me guest post on Moves N Munchies today. For more of my recipes, workouts and healthy tid-bits come on over to Dishin’ About Nutrition !
Thank GOODNESS- another gal who hates ketchup!!! HALLELUJAH!Questions of the Day:Do you have anything in common with Jessica?Which recipe of hers looks the best?!Do you hate ketchup too?!?!