Baking & Pastry Project #12 - Belgian Apple Cider Bread
I have to admit to being extremely psyched about making Belgian Apple Cider Bread. It sounded so fascinating to have bread recipe with a yeast paste spread on top. Then there was the challenge of making a triangular loaf of bread.
This recipe actually made a larger quantity of bread than I usually make. It was quite an arm workout to work the dough with my wooden spoon. So, if you need to you can mix this dough with your stand mixer. It was quite satisfying when it was all mixed and ready to shape.
I worked a little more sweet rice flour into the dough before shaping it to make it firm enough to hold the triangular shape when rising and baking. The loaves turned out triangular and had nicely rounded corners.
My husband and I loved how this bread turned out. The interior texture was quite nice with lots of small to medium sized air holes. It was great toasted and tasted fabulous with butter and even as a hot cheese and pepperoni sandwich.
Bread Recipe Protein content is in parenthesis Yield: 3 loaves or 2 loaves and 12 rolls
4 tsp + pinch/20 g brown rice flour (1.8 g) 4 tsp + pinch/20 g sweet rice flour (1.2 g) 4 tsp + pinch/20 g arrowroot starch (0.06 g) 1/4 cup + 3 pinches/59 g millet flour (6.78 g) 1 tsp + dash/6 g chia seed meal (1.26 g) ___________ 5 1/2 Tb/80 g black bean flour (19.2 g) 1 2/3 cup/425 g sorghum flour (29.75 g) 4 Tb + 2 1/2 tsp /70 g cocoa powder (13.3 g) 1/2 tsp/2 g agar agar powder 2 1/4 tsp/11 g instant dry yeast 3/4 tsp/4 g sea salt 1 2/3 cup/396 ml apple cider 2 2/3 cup/624 g sour cream
1/4 cup/60 ml agave syrup 2/3 cup/156 g pate fermentee
Apple Cider Paste
3/4 tsp/4 g black bean flour (.96 g) 2 1/4 tsp/11 g sorghum (.77 g) 3/4 tsp/4 g cocoa powder (.76 g) 1/2 tsp/2 g chia seed meal 1/2 tsp/2 g agar agar powder 3/4 tsp/4 g instant dry yeast 1/4 tsp/1 g sea salt 3 Tb/44 ml apple cider 1 tsp/5 ml agave syrup
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir together very well. In a medium bowl pour in the apple cider, sour cream, agave syrup and pate fermentee. Stir together making sure there aren't any lumps. Add to the dry ingredients and blend. The dough should be a little firmer, so if you need to add a little sweet rice, arrowroot starch or brown rice flour to the dough to make it firmer.
2. On a sheet of parchment paper sprinkled with sweet rice flour place 1/3 of the bread dough. Gently pat into a triangular shape.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients of the apple cider paste. Then add the apple cider and agave syrup. Stir together.
4. Spread the apple cider paste over the top of the bread. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
5. Place a baking stone into the oven and an oven proof bowl filled with water into a 450 degree F/232 degree C oven. Slip the parchment paper with the loaf of bread on it onto the baking stone. Spray water onto the walls of the oven and gently spray the top of the bread. Bake for 20 minutes. Then prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon and allow the bread to vent for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool before serving.
1. Bean Flour – You can purchase Black bean flour from Barry Farm or you can grind your own using a coffee grinder.
2. Chia Seed Meal – You can purchase chia seeds from Barry Farm and use a coffee grinder to turn them into meal.
3. Agar Agar Powder - Is available from Barry Farm as well.