I made this beetroot halwa, adding some cooking oats, its entirely optional though, when I first heard of beetroot halwa, I wasnt sure how it would taste..but it ecxatly taste like carrot halwa, with just a twist of adding oats to give nice chewy, sticky texture to it with the benefits of having oats in a different way.. For now try this..Beetroot & Oats Halwa!!
Sending it to Nivedita's Celebrate Sweets- Halwa Event.
For 3 Cup Halwa you need:
4 C Beetroot, peeled & shredded
1/2 C Sugar/Jaggery (adjust according to your taste)
1/2 C Old Fashioned Oats (optional, it gives a chewy and sticky texture)
Handfull of nuts..( I used almonds, cashew & pistachios)
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
1/4 C Milk OR Half & Half
2 Tbsp Clarified Butter/Ghee
1. Peel, shred/grate beetroot and steam for couple of minutes in microwave, just to quicken the cooking process. Its optional.
2. On a medium flame, add ghee in a heavy bottom pan, fry nuts, then add shredded beets for 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
OR Cook it more if you did not steam earlier.
3. As the water from beets, starts to evaporate, slowly start adding a tablespoon of milk, every 2 mins untill done.
4. Now cooking oats, sugar/jaggery and stir well, cook untill the sugar syrup evaporates.
5. Add cardamom powder at the end of the process and serve hot.