I'm always looking for something new and interesting to take with me when I'm invited for Thanksgiving dinner. This bean salad was listed as a great summer dish, but I think it's not only easy to make, it should also be easy to transport and there is no need to keep it warm or heat it up when I arrive. It's also light on fat, sugar, and salt, and that's a good thing!
2 lbs. fresh green ( or wax beans, trimmed 3 green onions, sliced 2/3 c. minced fresh basil 2 to 4 T. olive oil 2 T. cider or red wine vinegar (I always prefer red wine vinegar) 1/2 t. salt (try sea salt for a healthier choice) pepper to taste 2/3 c. Romano cheese
1. Cut beans into 1/4 in. pieces.
2. Place in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
3. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
4. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
5. In a bowl combine the beans, onions, basil, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and toss to coat. YIELD: 10 servings