Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

And We Have A New Neighbor!

Posted Sep 23 2013 6:18pm

Hey there! Happy Monday, folks! Did everyone have a nice weekend? I had a pretty good weekend on my end, so let’s take a little looksie, shall we?


On Friday morning my best friend from high school, Bianca , moved half a block away from me. I know. 

Half a block! I timed how long it took me to walk over to her new apartment and it was somewhere between 4 and 5 minutes. I feel so lucky! That’s even shorter than when we would “meet in the middle” back in middle school before either of us could drive and we wanted to hang out.

Bianca and I became friends in either sixth or seventh grade (I forget!) and have been BFFs ever since. I can’t even begin to tell you how many sleepovers, vacations, school trips, etc. I have been on with Bianca. We have SO many memories! After college she lived about 45 minutes away from me which wasn’t too bad, but now that she moved into her new apartment I am BEYOND excited. We are going to have so much fun together!!

Anyway, after work I headed over to check out her new place. It’s beautiful! She had a couple friends over and I had fun chatting with them and meeting new people over some casual beers. After a couple hours some of the group wanted to go out and others wanted to stay in, so a small group of us walked to Rhodeside Grill for more karaoke . Since I had so much fun there last weekend, I thought it would be a fun place to go that was literally only a few steps away. It was a win-win for everyone and I think we all had a really great time!


New friends!


And old ;)


The first few karaoke songs we heard when we walked into the bar happened to be country, and Bianca and I know a ton of country songs from back in the day, so we sang a few together. It was so much fun! We also threw a little Spice Girls in the mix because, when there’s karaoke how can you not sing those great songs from the 90′s?


Fun night out!


On Saturday morning I woke up around 8:30 am to walk Jack and make breakfast. I ate simple eggs and toast, but for some reason my stomach really wasn’t feeling so hot. At first I thought I was probably just hungover, but I was a little confused because I didn’t have that many drinks the night before, and I was lacking any kind of headache/grogginess that usually comes after a night of too many drinks. Either way I wasn’t too concerned about my tummy since I didn’t have any plans on the schedule except for a long run that could really happen whenever, so after breakfast I thought I’d lie down for a little longer.

Well that short lie-down turned into a HUGE nap, and I wound up waking up at 1:00 pm! What the heck? I never do that. After my nap I knew I really wanted to get my long run out of the way, so even though I still wasn’t feeling great I headed out the door.

For the most part I felt fine during my run; my head didn’t hurt, I didn’t feel achy, and my muscles all felt ok. However the more I ran, the more I felt like I was just going to puke (TMI?) and I did not feel good at all. I started to think maybe I wasn’t hungover but actually just sick? It certainly didn’t feel like any hangover I ever had before.

I was supposed to run 12 miles, but by mile 6 I came to a turning point in my route where I could either continue in a different direction or head back home. I called Fabio for a little pep-talk (he was in Baltimore with his buddies) and he told me to either keep running the full 12 miles or at least run home (in other words, wussing out on the metro or in a cab was not an option). Well, after almost losing my breakfast in a bush in the middle of DC, I decided to run back home (feeling sort of like a failure) and wrapped up my run at around 8 miles.

Here were my (crappy) splits:

  • Mile One: 8:16 (mostly downhill)
  • Mile Two: 9:18
  • Mile Three: 9:36
  • Mile Four: 9:15
  • Mile Five: 9:47
  • Mile Six: 9:35
  • Mile Seven: 9:25
  • Mile Eight: 10:02 (mostly uphill)

Yikes. At least I ran some?

When I got home I didn’t even take off my sweaty clothes but I just laid in the middle of the floor trying to make my nausea go away. I think at this point I realized this was not just a hangover, but I actually had a bit of a stomach bug.

Let’s just say the rest of the afternoon was spent running to the bathroom and sleeping. I think I slept for 90% of the day, and only woke up to lose lunch my lunch, as they say, or go get some soup for dinner. It was definitely not a fun way to spend the day, especially since I was by myself with Jack in the apartment. At least it was gross and rainy out, so I didn’t feel like I was really missing anything. Still, it was a pretty crappy day.


Sunday was a LOT better for me, thankfully! I woke up feeling not-at-all-nauseous, which definitely cheered me up. Fabio came home from Baltimore at around 9:30 am, so I made us some Kodiak pancakes and turkey bacon for breakfast to celebrate :)


So good.

Then we headed out the door for Fabio’s new softball league! He will be playing on the Ellipse on the South Lawn of the White House every Sunday with a couple of his new coworkers and their friends. It was such a gorgeous day and I was just so happy to be feeling better. Phew! Being sick really makes you appreciate feeling good.


I’m not good at softball AT ALL, so Jack and I hung out on the sidelines. Hey, you gotta’ have some fans!


Check out the panoramic view!


Fabio’s really good at anything softball/baseball related, so he did really well. I think they were happy to have him on the team :)


We made some more new friends at the game! Woohoo!


After the game Fabio and I headed home to do some chores around the house and laundry. A little later in the afternoon we took Jack to the dog park. :)


He ran around chasing an adorable German Short-haired Pointer puppy, which I loooooooved. After labs, they are my favorite!!

sunday08 Maybe it’s because I had eight of them at one point growing up, when my dog had puppies?



ANYWAY! After the dog park Fabio and I had a quiet dinner of saltenas at home while watching some football, and then we went back over to Bianca’s new apartment to help her unpack and get ready for the week ahead. I can’t wait to have my best friend as a new neighbor!

Question of the day: Do your best friends live close or far away?


Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches