I used the garden cress in the sushi rolls, spring rolls, as garnish, and also later in a salad. They are versatile and can be used anywhere you want to add a nutritional spicy kick. I hope you enjoy these sprouts as much as I do!
Spring Sushi and Nigiri
Makes 2 rolls & 6 Nigiri
Ingredients2 cups prepared sushi rice
1 pkg smoked salmon/lox
2 Nori sheets
1 large avocado
4 spears white asparagus
1/2 cucumber (sliced thin, lengthwise)
1 handful garden pepper cress
For the Spicy Sauce:1/2 cup plain yogurt2 Tbsp mayo1 Tbsp Chili/Cock sauce
Other Sushi Essentials:
Directions1. Cook 1 cup of sushi rice as stated by package. You can also use arborio, short brown rice, or even my favorite quinoa.
2. Once the rice has been fully cooked, stir in the seasoned rice vinegar and cover with lid. Let the rice sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Prepare the asparagus by cutting off 2 inches from the bottom. Then peel the outer layer of skin with a potato peeler. Steam until tender. Remove from heat and immediately place into cold water. Dry asparagus and set aside.
4. Remove the lid and allow the rice to cool to room temperature. It should be sticky but not too warm. Meanwhile mix together the 3 ingredients to the spicy sauce.
5. Lay nori sheet vertically on a cutting board with the short edge nearest you. Spoon about 2/3 cup of sushi rice onto nori sheet and spread evenly from the bottom up until about 2/3 of the sheet is covered.
6. Spread spicy sauce onto the rice layer. Then place along the center of the rice layer the smoked salmon in a single layer.
7. Following the salmon, place asparagus spears with the heads facing outwards and a little over the edge of the nori sheet. Top with avocado slices and garden cress.
8. Carefully roll the sushi from the bottom up. Dab your fingers into water and slide along the upper most edge of the roll. This will act like glue to stick the nori together. Roll all the way to the top. Place onto a plate with the seam facing down to "glue" together.
9. Fill a large glass with ice cold water. Place a sharp knife into ice water bath prior to cutting EACH slice. Allow more width to the edge pieces to make sure the "garden" is secure. Evenly cut the remaining roll into bite size pieces. Each roll should have 6 pieces total.
Note: It takes patience to roll the perfect roll, but with time it will be as easy as making a burrito. Have fun!
1. Use remaining sushi rice and form little mounds with two table spoons. Use your hands to form them perfectly and place onto a plate.
2. Spread a little bit of the spicy sauce onto the rice mounds. Top a slice of avocado, smoked salmon, and then to garnish a cress sprout.
Note: Nigiri is very easy to make and is a great way to use any left over sushi rice.
Papaya and Lime Salad
Makes about 4 cups
Ingredients1/2 of a large ripe papaya
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lime
Directions1. Spoon the seeds from the papaya and peel the outer skin layer with a potato peeler.
2. Cut the papaya into small cubes and put into a bowl.
3. Pour the juice of 1 lime over the papaya and stir well. Then add the zest and stir again. Cover and place into refrigerator. Serve chilled.