Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Misconception - Primary care physicians do not deal with the expensive aspects of medical care so they can have little impact on

Posted Jan 14 2010 12:00am
Two major reasons for cost escalation are lack of good care coordination of those with complex chronic illnesses and inadequate attention to prevention and screening. PCPs are key to both of these but they have too little time per patient and are not paid for either activity.

About 5% of all healthcare expenditures go to PCPs but they can have a major impact on the other 95%, especially with good care coordination of chronic illness and with a focus on prevention. To fix this, PCPs need to be incented [paid] to deliver care coordination for the chronically ill and good preventive care to all of their patients. This could have a very high return on investment and a huge impact on total costs. It is a logical place to begin to address the high costs of medical care in America.
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches