Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Container of coffee pot cleaner ...

Posted Nov 10 2008 4:23pm

Container of coffee pot cleaner not labeled and was mistaken for a thickening agent that is used to help swallowing...housekeeper has placed the cleaner in a cup without a label..nursing staff used the unlabeled cup to administer...BD

Rogue Valley Medical Center must pay $100,000 to an Eagle Point woman whose throat was burned when she mistakenly swallowed coffee pot cleaner at the hospital, a jury determined Friday. "I'm ecstatic," Patricia Richardson said after the jury ruled in her favor. "They were held accountable for their actions.

She quickly spit it out, gasping for air as it burned her mouth and throat. Hospital staff realized the powder wasn't thickener and sent her to the emergency room to be examined before she returned to sit with her seriously ill father.

Court documents showed that a housekeeper put coffee pot cleaner in a cup in the kitchenette. She intended to label it, but didn't have a marker and forgot to return later. The nurse assistant then used the powder from the unmarked container. Both leaving an unmarked container and using substances not clearly labeled violated hospital procedures.

MailTribune.com: Hospital mistake costs RVMC $100,000

Post a comment
Write a comment: