Leading UK hip surgeon, Mr Warwick Radford explains some of the latest thinking with respect to hip replacement surgery. There are different schools of thought and anyone considering this operation would be advised to read this article as it will enable a conversation with the doctor to decide on which method might suit best. Somewhat unbelievably, there are over 200 manufacturers of different hip replacements and their advertisements appear in places as diverse as the supermarket through to magazines. So what’s hype and what’s hip? In the article you’ll find answers to these questions:
1. What are the different types of hip replacement?
2. Is ceramic better than metal?
3. What is the ideal size of hip replacement?
4. What is ‘resurfacing’?
5. Is resurfacing better than total hip replacement?
6. What is the latest on keyhole or minimally invasive surgery?
7. Can computers aid the surgeon?
8. What is the best way of treating hip pain?
9. What is arthroscopy?
10. What is the latest expert opinion?