1) Physical symptoms get a little worse, but the mental state improves. Later the physical symptoms improve.
2) Most common reaction is improvement of mental and physical symptoms. Often the improvement is rapid, 20-45min..
3) The patient starts to feel better, then progress seems to level off or decline. If the symptoms are still the same then take another dose of the same remedy.
4) The patient starts to feel better, then progress seems to level off or decline. If the symptoms have changed since the initial remedy, select a new remedy.
5) The patient does not improve, feels worse or the physical symptoms improve but the mental state is worse. These reactions could signal a few things. The incorrect remedy was selected initially. The illness is due more to a constitutional imbalance. Depending on the seriousness of the condition; try selecting a remedy again, or see a doctor.
The rule of thumb is if there is improvement the patient should be left alone. While Homeopathy is safe, over-prescribing can be a problem, as it can confuse the symptom picture. We tend to think; if a little is good - more is better. With Homeopathy a little goes a long way. Be patient, and watch the symptoms.