Studies have showed a psychological effect, cost-effectiveness and better cosmetic appearance with the immediate reconstruction.
Surgical options:Reconstructions can be done by the use of either autogenous (originating the patient's own body) or alloplastic (implantation of an inorganic material) or both.
i. The most common method used is Tissue expander - Breast implant.
Indications of implants reconstruction:
1. Bilateral reconstruction
2. Patient requesting augmentation + reconstruction
3. Patient not fit for long surgery
4. Patient not willing to have more scars on the back or abdomen
1. The need for adjuvant radiotherapy
2. Previously failed implants
3. Implant fear
ii. A common autogenous method is also used:
Flap reconstruction. This method uses tissues from other parts of the patient's body such as the back (latissimus dorsi muscle flap) or the abdomen (TRAM flap).
Latissimus dorsi reconstruction:
1. Small breast
2. Mild breast ptosis
3. Abdominal donor site unavailable
1. Very large breast in a patient who does not desire reduction
2. Previous lateral thoracotomy
Indications:1. Breasts of all sizes 2. Breast ptosis Contraindications:1. Previous abdominoplasty2. Patient unfit for long surgery3. Patient unable to tolerate long recovery period There are more surgical options in breast reconstruction but we mentioned the most common ones done. Besides surgical details were not explained for the sake of making the topic much easier and clearer.
Breast reconstructive surgery