Six infectious diseases - pneumonia, tuberculosis, diarrheal diseases, malaria, measles and HIV/AIDS - account for half of all premature deaths worldwide, killing mostly children and young adults, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Moreover, threatening pandemics such as swine flu (H1N1 influenza A virus) are adding significant pressure to already strained healthcare budgets of governments around the world.
This report analyzes the anti-infective drugs market and highlights the existing and developing anti-infectives used to ameliorate infectious diseases' afflictions on humankind. Anti-infective drugs include. anti-viral therapeutics, antibiotics, anti-fungal agents and prophylactic treatments such as vaccines. Particular attention is paid to the clinical market segment and the pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies involved in anti-infective drugs with specific emphasis on each company's sales focus, product portfolio and R&D pipeline.
To date, the most successful anti-infective drugs target the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV, the virus that causes AIDS), the herpes virus (HSV-1 and HSV-2), bacterial infections and hepatitis C (HCV). A number of exciting novel anti-viral and antibiotic compounds are currently revolutionizing anti-infective drugs markets, including Truvada and Valtrex, which are anti-HIV and anti-herpes therapies, respectively. Significant resources are also being dedicated toward hepatitis A (HAV), hepatitis B (HBV) and Staph infections, including MRSA.
What's more, this study will examine the existing and developing anti-infective drugs targeted at infectious diseases that continue to devastate developing countries, including: cholera, dengue fever, meningitis, rotavirus, typhoid and yellow fever.
Key Topics Covered:
- Overview - Clinical Syndromes and Therapy - Anti-Infective Drugs Market - Description of Anti-Infective Therapeutic Agents - Market for Anti-Infective Drugs and Vaccines - Decision-making Activity in the Anti-Infective Drugs Market - Economics of Anti-Microbial Drug Resistance: The Persistent Need for Anti-Bacterials - Global Market Analysis of Anti-Infective Drugs - Global Market for Anti-Bacterial Therapies - Global Market for Anti-Fungal Therapies - Global Market for Anti-Viral Therapies - Market, Demographic and Economic Trends - Political/Legal Trends - Technological Trends - Socio-Cultural Trends - Competitive Landscape - Sales Performance amongst the Leading Players: Detailed Analysis of Leading Anti-Infective Players - Company Profiles
- Adlyfe, Inc.
- Advanced Life Sciences Holdings, Inc.
- Affinium Pharmaceuticals - APP Pharmaceuticals - Aquapharm Biodiscovery - Basilea Pharmaceutica AG - Biophage Pharma, Inc.
- CEL-SCI Corporation - Cerexa, Inc. (Subsidiary of Forest Laboratories) - Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd.
- Hospira, Inc.
- Incyte Corporation - Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Medivir AB - Mutabilis - NanoBio Corporation - Nanosphere, Inc.