Save Money - Build Your Own "Green" Giant Spider-On-A-Chain For Halloween
Posted Oct 15 2010 4:56pm
Green Tip: Reuse whatever you can from home to make crafts for the
holiday season instead of spending money!
Halloween is here and it is time to come up with a creative craft idea for
the garden. I reused old materials to build our favorite Halloween spider,
Fluffy. That makes Fluffy "green" and me happy because we saved money. We built
Fluffy the Spider a few years ago and you can tell he is stored outside in the
off season - covered in spider webs and yuck - it kind of adds to his charm.
Here's how we made Fluffy, remember, you could make your own spider with
something similar which you have at home that could be reused or recycled to
create your Halloween
1. Find an old container that is shaped like a large bowl - we used an old
mini-pond liner I had in the shed.
2. Drill holes in the side so you can attach eight legs.
3. Find eight legs that are the same length. We used old drain tubes. Attach
them with screws or cording or whatever you have.
4. Staple big eyeballs onto his head. We used some old foam strips, cut them
into eyeball shapes and viola!
5. Create a chain. We used recycled mesh gutter leaf guards I dug out of
someone's trash on garbage night. No kidding. I cut off the stiff left side,
then we sewed the gutter guards together like a "paper chain". Turned out
6. We have found that lifting the spider up makes him look better. He is
resting on a tomato cage. The "chain" is hooked on to the tomato cage then
stretched across and hooked on to the tree.
7. We reused an Ups-A-Daisy insert to make his name tag, and cheap spider
webbing adds a final haunted touch if you would like to add it.
All ready for his big day!
Send me photos this upcoming week - between 10-16 and 10-23 of your
creatively fantastical homemade, reused, and recycled Halloween decorations and
I will post them up for the world to see. Send photos to email@example.com .
*Note* This post is a dual post I have placed on both this blog
and the Gardening Nude blog due to the dual theme.