Yes, it's shockingly true! Even while working out, you could be over consuming and contributing to global warming. Below are the keys to greening your workout.
1. Wear organic breathable cotton. During workouts, your pores are opening up and coming as close to your skin as they ever could. Cotton contains high levels of pesticides, more so than some fruits and veggies. Nike makes plenty of soy and organic cotton workout clothes. http://www.nike.com/.
2. Give Yoga a try. Finding the right balance in life can sometimes be challenging. Yoga helps you to find inner peace and tranquility in your life. Plus it will kick your ass into shape fast.
3. Consider riding your bike or walking to the gym. If time allows. You can workout less at the gym, or just go anarobic. And you reduce your carbon footprint without your auto.
4. Take a class vs. using the treadmill or other energy consuming device. Studies show that treadmills and other motorized gym equipment, plus their accompanying entertainment stations, are major energy hogs. Classes are more fun anyway and they help keep things interesting in your workout routine.
5. Use a reusable water bottle. 80% of all plastic water bottles end up at the landfill and sadly, many gyms don't even recycle. How lame is that?! Invest in a good water bottle, preferably made from stainless steel (no plastic to leach into your water.) Try a Sigg Bottle from http://www.epicoutfit.com/.