Mommy Tips for MORE Than Just Surviving Summer With Your Kids!
Posted Jul 28 2008 12:00am
Regardless if your children are tots, tweens or in-be-tweens, summer can truly be the time of the year where great family memories can be made. A welcome change in routine, lazy mornings to snuggle, trips to the beach, visiting relatives and extra quality family time are true gifts. But sometimes, too much extra time to enjoy each other, mixed with lack of planning, can lead to days that feel like the summer sun will never set! Here are 6… well 10, summer survival tips I have borrowed…OK stolen from experienced moms who have maintained not only their sanity but sense of fun after many a summer. I hope they will be as helpful to you, as they have been to me and my mommy clients.
1. Be present- Focus! When you are with your kids…be with your kids.
2. Mommy time - Schedule time for yourself. This tip is essential to having a make or break summer with your children. No one is happy unless mommy is happy!
3. Be prepared- Have daily planned activities so your kids don’t become restless. There are many resources for camps, local activities and summer events. Or create your own mini camp with other interested parents, sharing each other’s individual skill-set with neighborhood children.
4. Mommy time- Actually schedule this time on your calendar. Otherwise it will never happen!
5. Be flexible- Even the best thought out plans often need to be scratched. Remember the objective is to have an enjoyable summer, so throw your plans to the wind from time to time!
6. Mommy time- Consider starting a summer bank account, exchanging childcare with other trusted moms. Bank “mommy time” by swapping “sanity hours”.
7. Team work- Summer is a great time to oil the family machine. Keeping in mind the age of your children, invite them to participate in planning activities. Children love to feel in control. This will help avoid nasty power struggles!
8. Mommy time- Put down the sponge and let a few dust bunnies run, in order to make time for yourself. You will be surprised how everything and everyone will survive!
9. Safety- Keep a close watch. Statistically, more accidents take place with children during the summer months. A visit to the E.R. can really take the wind out of your summer sails.
10. Mommy time-…Clearly this tip cannot be over stated. Take that time for yourself (guilt-free), in order to be a happy summer mommy. This crucial tip will lead to a memorable summer for you and your kids!!!!!
Calling all moms to comment with your own Summer Survival Tips, because we still have 35 days until Labor Day…but who’s counting??!!
-June Grushka-Rosen M.Ed. is a mommy of two, psychotherapist, and the owner of ExtraordinarYou, a life coaching and educational services business. To contact: June@URextraordinary.com