Live Christmas Trees Can Trigger Mold Allergies on Yahoo! Health
Posted Aug 26 2008 11:47am
Okay, so here I am taking the fun out of your Christmas tree. Actually, MAN FERTILITY and I don't observe this practice even though he is part German. First, it seems sad to kill a tree, then there's the _%&_#)($ needles that get all over the place, plus we used to have this endearingly crazy cat. Now, decorating a rosemary bush is about as ambitious as I get.
As Grinchy as this sounds, if anyone in the household has asthma/allergies, it might be a nicer present to now have a tree. And puhleeeeeze don't get one of those artificial ones!
"FRIDAY, Nov. 16 (HealthDay News) -- While bringing home a live Christmas tree marks the beginning of the holiday season for many, the mold that thrives on its branches can trigger weeks of suffering for some, a new study shows. Connecticut researchers have found that the mold count from a live Christmas tree rose to five times the normal level two weeks after the tree was brought indoors, and that can prove problematic for people with mold allergies. Their research was presented this week at the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology annual meeting, in Dallas. 'Christmas trees are another possible source of mold exposure during the holiday season,' said study co-author Philip Hemmers, an allergist and immunologist with St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, Conn. 'Mold allergies peak in the fall, and we see a second peak with a lot of our mold-sensitive patients during the holiday season. Our finding correlates with this second peak of mold sensitivity.'"