No matter how much cash you have to spend, our gift ideas will help you keep Father's Day (Sunday, June 16) green.
NEARLY FREE: If you're working with a tight budget, these ideas cost almost nothing.
1) Get creative. Set aside a few hours, open up your tool box and channel your inner Martha Stewart to make your dad a repurposed key holder or a keyboard wallet . These gifts easy and fun to make — and they'll create a tangible memory for years to come. For other ideas check out Sierra's "Repurpose" column .
2) Head outdoors. Keep things simple and go hiking! If your dad is an outdoor enthusiast, there's nothing he'll love more than spending quality time with you while enjoying the nature. A website like trails.com can help you find a trail nearby and pick one at the appropriate difficulty level.
MODERATE MIDDLE: If you are looking to spend between $25 and $200, our next list was designed with you in mind.
2) Sponsor a Wild Place. The Sierra Club's Sponsor a Wild Place program is an easy and thoughtful way to help protect one of your dad's favorite places. From the Rocky Mountain National Park to Adirondack Park, sponsoring in your dad's name supports the Sierra Club's efforts to protect America's wilderness. Included with a sponsorship is information about the selected area, a 5x7 photograph, and an 1892 backpack or plush animal, which can be sent straight to your dad, all with free shipping.
3) Plant a tree. Another great way to honor your dad that you care while helping the environment is to plant a tree . The Arbor Day Foundation has great tips on which kind of trees are best for your region, where to plant, and how to care for your tree. If you plan to order a tree with the Arbor Day Foundation, prices will vary anywhere from $3 to $20, depending on the type of tree plus shipping costs. Or find a local nursery where they can help you select a tree endemic to your region.
4) Give your dad an eco-friendly gift. Here are a handful of products we like.
BIG SPENDER: If money isn't an issue, check out these lavish Father's Day ideas!
1) Plan a getaway. Life can be hectic, for you and your father. Help your dad cross an amazing destination off his bucket list by booking a trip with Sierra Club Outings. International or domestic, there are a variety of trips available to choose from that both you and your dad will love.
2) Splurge on a gift.
A solar powered Drive watch from Citizen Eco-Drive ($250-275.00, plus shipping and handling)
In the spirit of Father's Day, these green gifts and activities are great, but what's most important is letting him know he's in your thoughts — and for that, a phone call will do.
--Image by iStockphoto/Elenathewise
Christine Coester is an editorial intern at Sierra.A fan of flora and fauna, she has a passion for conservation and environmental stewardship. Currently a graduate student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, she is studying journalism with the hopes of making the world a better and greener place.