Shows Milliions At Risk From Killer Mercury Laden Amalgam Dental Fillings.
Posted Dec 01 2010 3:43pm
New Report Shows Milliions At Risk From Killer Mercury Laden Amalgam Dental Fillingshttp://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/news.php?start=4200&end=4220&view=yes&id=5598#newspost
A new risk assessment report submitted by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology this month to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns that mercury from dental fillings is estimated to cause 67.2 million Americans to exceed the Reference Exposure Level (REL) of 0.3 ug/m3 established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) in 1995. If the more protective REL of 0.03 ug/m3 established in 2008 by the California Environmental Protection Agency is used, then the current safe-dose is probably exceeded by 122.3 million Americans.
Dental fillings referred to by dentists as **amalgam** or **silver** are actually 50% mercury.
Contrary to FDA's 2009 ruling that exposure from mercury fillings presents no health risks, the latest assessment, by lead author G. Mark Richardson, Ph.D., of SNC-Lavalin, concludes that the mercury vapor continually emitted from these fillings is absorbed and distributed into every tissue and organ in the body including the brain. Chronic (long-term) exposure to elemental mercury can cause kidney damage, crosses the blood brain barrier and is neurotoxic. The report states **Numerous studies have demonstrated that Hg levels in blood are increased in persons, including pregnant women, with amalgam.**
Dr. Richardson's report explores how the release of mercury vapor from fillings in a mother's mouth can cause harm to the fetus via cord blood and infant children via breast milk.
The Journal of Alzheimer's Disease confirmed that mercury is likely a contributing cause of Alzheimer's, a disease at epidemic proportions affecting an estimated 5.3 million Americans.
PR Newswire Press Release, International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology