Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Keeping Your Child Safe From Accidental Burns

Posted Nov 27 2010 10:16pm


A child will explore the world through the sense of touch. This is how a child learns the first lessons about the objects in the home, yard and other areas that they come into contact with; these first lessons should not include burns.

Burns are painful reminders of kids getting too close to hot objects, playing with fire, or getting too close to the stove, oven or grills.

It is the responsibility of the adults in the household to safeguard the children in the home from accidental burns caused by heaters, chemicals, appliances, flames, and hot metals such as irons and radiators.

Children when they are young are curious about everything and drawn to things that seem like magic like a dancing flame of a candle. There curiosity can tempt them to grab a handle off a stove or pull down a cup from the edge of a table to see what is inside. They may even bite down on electrical cords because babies put everything into their mouth. Unfortunately babies and toddlers do not have the experience to know when something is hot or dangerous. They need close supervision around items that are hot or may cause burns such as chemicals.

Our homes should be a safe haven, but unfortunately many of the objects in them can turn to things that can hurt and cause pain to our children if the children are left unsupervised around hot objects.

To keep your child safe from scalds, keep your hot water heater set at 120 F (48.8 C) and do not let children play with water faucets.

Do not carry infants, or small children when you are drinking hot beverages.

Turn all handles of pots and pans on the stove inward towards the back of the stove and never leave cooking foods on the stove unattended.

Babies or young children can pull tablecloths down on themselves spilling hot liquids and foods on themselves and others so use placemats instead.

Establish a rule that children do not play in the kitchen.

Always unplug any appliance that is not being used such as irons, toasters, curling irons, and hair dryers.

Test bottles and food before giving to babies and young children to prevent mouth burns. Be especially careful of any liquid heated in a microwave or food cooked in a microwave as they can easily be too hot and can burn mouths easily. Always wait at least 2 minutes after taking items out of a microwave to serve them. Never microwave a baby’s bottle.

Use a cool-mist humidifier instead of a steam vaporizer because the steam from a steam vaporizer can easily burn a young child if they get too close to the steam.

Make sure all outlets not being used have covers on them so that children can’t stick objects into them. Make sure that all exposed extension cords are wrapped.

When cooking on barbecue grills always be outside watching them and tell kids to stay clear of them when they are being used.

When the weather is warm, always check a child’s car seat before placing them into it as sometimes the seat; especially the metal clasps can be very hot resulting in burns if a baby’s skin touches the hot metal. Use a towel or sunshield to cover the area where the child sits to prevent burns.

Watch fireworks from the living room TV. Keep small children away from sparklers.

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches