Bawang or Garlic (scientific name:Allium sativum) is one of the most widely used herbal medicine in the Philippines. The Philippine bawang variety is more pungent than the imported ones. It's medicinal properties has been known for a long time and has been specially proven during World War II. Because of Bawang's antibacterial compound known as Allicin, lives were saved by preventing wounds from having infection and later develop into gangrene when the juice of Bawang or garlic was applied to the wounds.
Bawang/garlic is known as nature's antibiotic. It's juices inhibits the growth of fungi and viruses thus prevents viral, yeast and viral infections. Preliminary test also shows some positive results in the treatment of AIDS.
Several clinical test and published studies have shown the efficacy of bawang in lowering cholesterol in the blood and is beneficial to the circulatory system of the body. Today as more research is done with bawang, more medicinal and therapeutic properties become more evident.
After thorough research and test, the Philippine Department of Health has endorsed bawang as one of the ten Philippine herbs with therapeutic value and recommends it's use as an alternative herbal medicine.
Benefits of Bawang:
• Good for the heart
• Helps lower bad cholesterol levels (LDL)
• Aids in lowering blood pressure
• Remedy for arteriosclerosis
• May help prevent certain types of cancer
• Boosts immune system to fight infection
• With antioxidant properties
• Cough and cold remedy
• Relives sore throat, toothache
• Aids in the treatment of tuberculosis
• With anticoagulant properties
Preparation of Bawang:
• For disinfecting wound, crush and juice the garlic bulb and apply. You may cover the afflicted area with a gauze and bandage.
• For sore throat and toothache, peal the skin and chew. Swallow the juice.
• Aside from being an herbal medicine for hypertension, arteriosclerosis and other ailments, garlic is also recommended for maintaining good health - eat raw garlic bulb, and include bawang regularly in the food you eat. It's healthy and taste good in a variety of dishes.