Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

ear ache...still :o(

Posted by dollyd85

have had fluid behind my ear drum making it bulge & therefore hurt A LOT! went to doctor a week ago & given sudafed & menthol to steam with. no real progress as yet. have started getting a pain when i flex my jaw/chew on my right side (worse ear too) right at the hinge joint by my ear. Any help/advice appreciated. have had to take my first day off work today & feel rubbish! thanks
Answers (3)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first
You need to report these new symptoms to your doctor as soon as possible.

Since the symptoms are new, you could try and call your doctor and tell him. But just in case:

I feel your pain. My daughter used to always get earaches when she was smaller. They do have preparations at the drug store for ears. Since you've been to your doctor already and that didn't help, I would talk to your pharmacist and see what he/she recommends.

On my daughter, I used Dr. Scholl's ear cleaning fluid and warm it up. It would always work with her. She said it felt good too when we put it in. It comes with a dropper.

Alcohol is good for drying your ears too.  Since you said you had fluid in your ear.

Try that and let me know how it works out for you. If it doesn't, try going to a ear, nose and throat doctor. They will take it much more seriously.


Health Maven

It sounds like it could be a TMJ disorder, which you would need to see an oral surgeon or someone who specializes in TMJ disorders. I just recently went to the oral surgeon for similar pain in my jaw & ears, thinking it was being caused by my wisdom teeth. The surgeon is removing my teeth in case it is part of the problem, but he suspects it could be TMJ. Just a suggestion. I know none of my regular doctors even thought about it because they are so focused on general health issues and didn't even think about an oral cause. Hope you feel better soon!
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: