Does your cleanse and maintenance applies to persons with stage 4 cirrhosis?
Hi there -
The Cleanse and Maintenance program may help with Stage 4 Cirrhosis; however, it is not designed for this condition.
I would break apart the Program and utilize a couple from it along with others.
The cause of the Stage 4 Cirrhosis needs to be stabilized. Common cause of cirrhosis is Hepatitis C.
Consider the following products: - Liver G.I. Detox contains numerous well-researched nutrients to assist liver function and reduce liver enzymes.
- Phosphatidylcholine has been shown to significantly reduce liver enzymes and show improvement in a liver biopsy in a 12 week study.
- Silybum/Taraxacum is a potent mixture of two liver herbs. Taking this along with Liver G.I. Cleanse may make a more potent effect given the stage 4 cirrhosis.
- Ascorbic acid is shown to be related to progression of cirrhosis. The lower the levels of ascorbic acid, the faster cirrhosis occurs. Increasing plasma levels of ascorbic acid by taking 3 grams 3 times a day or up to bowel tolerance may slow progression of cirrhosis.
- Selenium is also associated with progression of cirrhosis. Low selenium levels correlates to faster progression. Consider taking 200 mcg 2 times a day of selenium daily.
- Vitamin E has shown to reduce inflammation and fibrosis formation. Results were shown via liver biopsy. Consider taking 400 IU of Vitamin E twice a day. If you have low platelet count or any type of bleeding condition, speak with your physician prior to taking any vitamin E.
- Cod Liver Oil reduces inflammation which in turn reduces fibrosis. Consider taking 2 grams of Cod Liver Oil 2 times a day with meals.
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine raises glutathione levels. Liver conditions deplete glutathione and glutathione is necessary to reduce toxin levels. Taking glutathione directly is very expensive so taking NAC may be a better approach. Consider taking 900 mg three times a day away from meals.
Lifestyle changes to consider: - Avoid alcohol and caffeine completely - Avoid trans fats - Eat more fiber found in whole grains. Whole grain breads, oatmeal, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds are good sources of whole grains.
Quinoa is an excellent grain as it tastes great, contains protein, high amounts of fiber and minerals.
Chia seeds are also great to eat as they are high in omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation. Chia seeds are also high in fiber to increase bowel movements which reduce toxin loads.
- Cook with coconut oil or olive oil only. Do not use other oils.
- Stop smoking
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day to maintain proper hydration and movement of fluids through the body. Poor dehydration increases toxin buildup which may increase fibrosis (ie. cirrhosis).
- Eat wild salmon. Do not eat farmed salmon (anything labeled Atlantic Salmon is farmed).
- Eat grass-fed beef or free range chicken.
- Limit exposure to pesticides and herbicides.
- Saunas help remove toxins. You must take nutrients, maintain hydration and get out of the sauna at the first sign of quesiness or odd feelings. Do not push it. I recommend speaking with a physician before you get into a sauna. Sauna treatment can help or worsen your condition. Thus, physician monitoring is a must.
With the above suggestions, you may likely experience significant improvement in symptoms and hopefully a biopsy in a few months time will show improvement instead of progression.
I highly recommend that you consult with a naturopathic physician who specializes in liver conditions such as cirrhosis.
There are many anti-fibrotic herbs and other agents which have shown to reduce cirrhosis. I have not mentioned them here as they require physician monitoring.
John Hibbs, ND is a specialist in hepatitis C which is highly related to cirrhosis in end stage as it causes end stage cirrhosis. Dr Hibbs is worth a phone call. You may find him at the Bastyr Center of Natural Health in Seattle, Washington.
Eric Yarnell, ND specializes in herbal medicine and gastroenterology. He has extensive knowledge in anti-fibrotic herbs and is also worth a phone call.
Do let me know how you are doing in a month or so.
To help speed your recovery, please accept a 10% off coupon on your order. Enter BEWELL in the shopping cart.