Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:


Posted Nov 21 2008 4:27pm
Truth be told, we had gone down to the Passport Office yesterday. When you are getting a passport for an adopted child, both parents and the child need to be there. So we juggled our schedules and managed to get down there at 2 PM. We walk up to the door, and find it locked, with a big sign that says, "Psych! We lock our doors at 1:30 so no one bothers us. Come back at 7:30 AM. Ha ha!"

Grumbling, we get back in the car and try to figure out how we're going to do this. Mara leaves Sunday to meet her mom in Hawaii who is moving to Saipan from Tucson. We want to get this passport thing done quickly, and not put it off another week. But on Friday, I have a full clinic in the morning, and with four kids and summer, there's a bit of coordination to be done to get everyone where they need to be.

Mara and I decide to get up early and get down to the Passport Office by 7:30 AM, so that we can get everything done and I can get to the office by 8:00. It will mean waking a sleeping 4 year old to get her down there too.

By morning, the plan is seeming a bit too painful, with everyone tired. We decide I'll go to the Passport Office at 7:30 AM, and Mara and Jaleh will go down later, and hope this will count as "everyone appeared."

I get there at 7:27 and sit and listen to the end of Harry's radio show (new driving school on the island 322-2220). At 7:31 I head to the office door. Locked. I knock. Nothing. I read the sign again just to make sure. Yep, we accept passports between 7:30 AM and 1:30 PM. I wait. 7:37, the door is still locked. Maybe it's an austerity Friday. I call the hospital and ask the operator, "Is this an austerity Friday?" "No, that's next Friday. Government offices are open today." Hmmmm. Maybe they're inside and just forgot to unlock the door. After all, the aircon is running. Oh, look, there's a sign on the side of the building with the phone number. I get my cell phone and prepare to call. The phone number on the sign says, 664-476. That's not a typo. The last digit is missing. Under the phone number, there is another sign that says "Ha ha!" I wait some more. I knock some more. By 7:47 I decide this isn't going to work today, I move into my happy zone, get in the car and drive to the office.
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches