I fell in love with makeup as a little girl. When I was in elementary school, my aunt would break out the frosted blue eye shadow and make my sister and I up just for fun (a la the mid-1980s). I remember sitting there, all wiggly and anxious to check out my new look in the bathroom mirror. Fast forward a few years, and yes, that would be me, sneaking Q-tips covered with my mom’s sparkly eyeshadow (probably blue, again), keeping them hidden in my dresser until I could apply it and sneak out of the house to meet my friends at the mall. Because my parents wouldn’t notice bright blue eye shadow, right?
My love affair with makeup continues to this day. We’ve had a long and sometimes rocky relationship, my products and I. We’ve dated, broken up and gotten back together. I’ve flip-flopped between drugstore brands and “fancy brands.” I tried matte lipstick and skinny brows and lipliner and the “nude look.” I’ve kept some items way past their expiration date, unwilling to let go. I’ve cried tears over beloved discontinued products (I’m only slightly joking; Bobbi Brown Treatment Lip Shine SPF 15 in Naked Pink … I’m talking to you).
Yet after many years of trial and error, I think I’ve finally landed on a basic makeup routine using just a few key products – a mix of both drugstore and department store brands. So today I thought we’d sneak a peak into my makeup bag:
1.L’Oreal Magic BB Cream: Love this – so light and airy and makes your skin look flawless. Just wish it had some SPF in it.
2. Tarte Cheek Stain (sheer berry rose): It took me awhile to get the hang of using this, but I love how it looks – and it stays on all day.
3. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow (champagne): This is the perfect neutral eye shadow, hands down. Can’t find another one like it. The color is the perfect blend of gold and vanilla.
4. Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm (graped-up): Great color and feels light and – yes – moisturizing on your lips.
5. N.Y.C. New York Color Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil (dark brown): A total steal at $1.99 yet it does the same job as an eyeliner triple the price. Plus it glides (not drags) on.
6. Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer (warm ivory): Works for both undereye circle and blemishes.
7. Shu Uemura eyelash curler: I discovered this a long time ago when I was working at a fashion magazine in New York. And I’ve been using it ever since.
8. Fresh fragrance (grapefruit): Lovely, lovely sent. Perfect for spring/summer.
9. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact (beige): This is one of my trade secrets. Grab a fan brush and brush this in a T on your face (across forehead and down over the bridge of your nose), then dot the lightest color in the corner of your eyes. Voila. You’ll look glowy and radiant.