Postpartum Weight Loss: The Best Yoga Move for Toned Arms
Posted Aug 25 2010 5:42pm
To Sara of Fit by Sara: “What is the best yoga move to get toned arms?”
From Fit by Sara: “Many of the postures in yoga work the muscles of the arms and shoulders. My personal favorite for muscle definition is “chatarunga”. Yogis joke that they can tell when people practice yoga regularly because they have “chatarunga arms”.
To do chatarunga
1. Begin in a push up position
2. Bend your elbows so your arms touch your rib cage (unlike a push where the elbows go out to the side)
3. Maintain a flat back with your head in line w/ your shoulders and your buttocks down
4. Lower your body, like a board all the way to the floor
5. To modify do “chatarunga” with your knees on the mat. Be sure to keep your buttocks down
6. As you get stronger hold your body flat as a board one inch above the ground before lowering all the way down to your belly.
7. Enjoy the compliments you get from your “chatarunga arms”! -Sara Holliday MFT, CPT