It can be a real challenge to find activities that are fun for your whole family. It is even harder if you want those activities to be productive ones, ones that involve your family working together, interacting, and doing something good. Exercise can make for a great group activity and getting your family to work out together will be fun. Running is a great option for family members of all ages and the 5K race is a short enough distance that even young kids can get involved. Competing in 5K races is also a great reason to travel the country with your kids. There are a lot of 5K races specifically geared towards families. Here are 10 Can’t Miss 5Ks for the whole family.
Image Credit: The Color Run
1. The Color Run – There are a lot of exciting things about The Color Run. It is unique, innovative, and perfect for families. It is also conveniently located in cities all over the country, so you probably don’t need to travel far to participate. How does it work? Runners start the race in white shirts. They then “run” their 5K through different colored zones where they are blasted with paint by organizers, volunteers, sponsors and staff. By the end of the race, runners look like they fell into a Willy Wonk, tie dye festival. Everything is safe and the paint is even edible!
2. Portland Parks & Rec’s $5 5Ks – If you are looking for a frugal choice, check out the $5 5K Runs through Portland. It’s $5 per participant and is held from May through October on certain Sundays in Portland.
3. Charlotte Firecracker 5K and Fun Run – This Charlotte, NC run goes through the Olde Providence neighborhood and finishes with a pool party.
4. Disney Family Fun Run – If you’ve been secretly looking for an excuse to go back to Disneyworld – or see it for the first time – then your answer might be the 2012 Disney Family Fun Run 5K. Part of the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend event, this course winds through Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park with a promised “unforgettable finish.”
5. Run For Your Life Zombie 5K – If one of your kids is a sci-fi, horror, or fantasy fanatic, then this is the 5K race for your family. With locations in each region of the country, this race is the “first interactive zombie-infested obstacle race experience.” Runners are given a belt of flags, which the zombies grab at to “attack” you. Natural and man-made obstacles are found throughout the course. It’s fun, safe, and who knows – maybe it’s good training!
6. Twinkie Run – Okay, Twinkies aren’t exactly healthy for your children, but this Michigan race is not just fun – it also features homemade and award winning recipes for Twinkies in addition to the store bought kind.
7. 5K Five Khane – This annual 5K in Charlotte, NC begins at the NASCAR Hall of Fame!
8. Freedom Trail Run – Boston is a city full of historic sites and the Freedom Trail Run stops to look at many of them. On weekend mornings at 8:30 a.m. Bostonians and tourists alike meet to run a 5K route through the city’s scenic and historic sites, stopping along the way to look at them. It is a great way to get to know the city and the slow pace makes it easy for everyone. Don’t forget your camera!
9. Tyler’s Treehouse 5K – This event in Charlotte, NC is fun for all ages and runs through the Olde Georgetown and Sharon Hills neighborhoods.
10. Hot Chocolate 5K – Known as “America’s Sweetest Race” this 5K with nationwide locations finishes with Ghirardelli hot cocoa, chocolate fondue and other chocolate treats.
About the Author: Kennith Campbell is a fitness professional committed to raising a healthy, active family. In his spare time, you can find Ken reviewing slide board training videos and other cross training methods for athletes.