If you’re a mom, then you’re busy and you may find it challenging to fit exercise into your day. It may not be as hard as you think when you make small changes to your day. When you make your health a priority you will benefit in the way you look and feel, plus you’re a role model for your kids, so they’ll be more likely to be fit too. Keep it simple, follow these 5 tips to get in your workout. ~Sara Holliday MFT, CPT, HHP
1. Workout in the morning. Don’t wait till the afternoon or evening because your to-do lists and exhaustion will be more likely to interfere with your intention to exercise. If you workout in the morning you’ll also boost your mood for a positive start to your day.
2. Workout with your kids. If your kids are old enough, go for a walk or hike together. If they are a baby or small enough to fit in a stroller, take them on a power walk and use hills to challenge your muscles for greater toning.
3. Fit in exercise whenever you can. Park your car further from the grocery store, take the stairs instead of the elevator and play with your kids. Small changes result in positive changes towards a healthy lifestyle.
4. Walk on your lunch break. Instead of using the whole hour for your lunch, bring a pair of sneakers and get in a half-hour power walk. Walking will also boost your energy and mood so you get more done and avoid the post lunch slump.
5. Join an exercise group, class, or get a co-worker to exercise with you. You’ll be more likely to stick with an exercise program if you have a group or friend holding you accountable, plus it’s more fun to workout with others.