If you’re human and over the age of twenty, then it’s likely that you have an abundance of “to do lists”. To-do lists result in crowding your mind with thought leaving your shoulders, back, and head tied up in knots. When your mind is engulfed with thought, it makes it challenging to enjoy the special moments with your family and friends. Quieting your mind takes practice, but once you learn how to do it you’ll experience multiple benefits. You will be more focused with your tasks and finish them faster, and you will be more present and joyful with those you love most. Use the 5 tips below to quiet your mind. -Sara Holliday MFT, CPT
1. Take in Nature. Go for a short walk to calm your mind. Become fully aware of your surroundings by taking in everything surrounding you such as the sounds, animals, plants and breeze.
2. Nourish Your Body. If you are hungry honor your body and give it fuel. Our brains function much better when we have proper nourishment.
3. Breathe. A simple deep breath brings oxygen to your entire body. Breathing fully releases stress and quiets the mind.
4. Rest. When you feel overwhelmed and tired give yourself permission to rest. A short rest can do wonders for clearing out unwanted thoughts.
5. Sit Quietly. Take a few minutes each day to sit quietly. Notice the thoughts that are in your mind. Take deep breaths while imagining that your exhale clears out any unnecessary thoughts.