Tomorrow is Turkey day, time to give thanks. But it is NOT time to overeat, feel stuffed and miserable and regret the whole thing. Tune in today to learn 10 tips to help you stay fit, healthy and feeling great on Thanksgiving day. It can be enjoyable, let’s do this!!!
1. Stay Hydrated: Make sure to drink lots of liquids, especially water. Water is a natural diuretic and helps to cleanse waste from your system. A good rule of thumb is to drink one-half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 150 lbs, you would drink at least 75 ounces of water per day.
2. Start with Breakfast: DON’T skip breakfast. Breakfast is the meal that breaks the fast that you’ve just been through while you were sleeping. Starting the day with breakfast means having more control of what you eat throughout the day and keeps your metabolism in check.
3. Eat Every 3-4 hours: Have a meal at least every 3 hours, and while you are eating stay present in that moment and enjoy it. Think of the taste, smell and texture of what you are eating and how you are nourishing your body with every bite.
4. Get in an Exercise Session: Just because its Thanksgiving, doesn’t mean you have permission to skip your regular workout. Get up early and get it over with. Getting in this workout means that you will be burning 2-3x as many calories throughout the day, which will really come in handy later on!
5. Drink Mindfully: Alcohol has calories, did you realize that? Another thing is when you drink alcohol, your body stops focusing on digestion and starts focusing on getting rid of the alcohol toxins. Go ahead and drink your cocktail, but remember its adding calories to your day, so be mindful of HOW MUCH you drink.
6. Take a Walk: After the Big Meal is over, gather all your family, friends and loved ones and go for a walk. Not only is this a great bonding time, it also stimulates your digestive system to get rid of some of the excess calories because you are burning them off by being active.
7. Bring a Healthy Dish: If you are worried about having something healthy to eat, make one yourself and bring it. If you are the host, make a couple of dishes that are healthy versions of your traditional meals. As long as it tastes good, no one will be the wiser.
8. Permission Granted: Start right this moment to give yourself permission to relax and have fun. Enjoy this time with your loved ones and friends, you deserve it. No STRESS!
9. Plan Your Meals: Create a plan of action as to how you are going to tackle the Big Meal as well as the rest of the day’s eating. Don’t just let it happen, make a plan and stick to it. You will feel so much better afterwards.
10. Use a Smaller Plate: Use a salad plate when you serve up your meal. If one isn’t available, pile up on the salad and other veggies and get just a small sampling of the other food. This way, you will have room to go back for more without overstuffing yourself.