If you’re anything like me, you hate exercise. It’s not that you don’t enjoy moving around or getting some fresh air and exerting your limbsâ€”it’s just that the idea of a regular, structured regimen is about as appealing to you as cold coffee. All the same, exercise isn’t optional anymore. In fact, according to the National Institutes of Health, only three in ten American adults actually get the recommended dose of daily physical activity. If you’re reluctant to work up a sweat, here are some ideas for how to change your ‘tude around exercise.
1) Put down the weights, get off the elliptical, and do something you actually enjoy! Okay, so the gym or going for a run around your neighborhood might not be your thing, but there are plenty of other ways to get your exercise without resorting to the tried and true boring stuff. If you like the outdoors, try kayaking or hiking. And if you’re a fan of meditation, yoga is probably a good way to go. All of these routines affect your cardiovascular health, and that’s all that matters.
2) If you can’t fit 45 minutes of gym drudgery into your daily schedule, try a bite-sized workout instead. Even three sessions of 10-minutes each will help you reach your fitness goals.
3) Give yourself a biscuit. Yes, rewards make exercise feel more satisfying, but try to indulge in something healthy, like sexy work-out clothes, a massage at your favorite spa or a smoothie after hitting the gym or dance studio.
4) Fit it into your schedule. Yeah, structure bites sometimes, but you’ll be more likely to exercise if you actually carve out specific times of the day per week to do so. It’s also the perfect excuse for a little me time away from friends and family.
5) Exercise early in the day. Research has shown that early exercisers tend to stick to their routine for a longer time than those who exercise later in the day. Also, it’s a great energy booster.
6) Work out with others. The more, the merrierâ€”plus, you’ll have another person to answer to if you skip out on your calorie-burning session. (Tip: Instead of sitting down over a pint of ice cream with your honey, hit the gym together! Trust me, you’ll both feel very sexy after a few weeks of vigorous work-outs…)
7) Try getting a personal trainer. A lot of people who hate exercise usually are just intimidated by it. A personal trainer can help you set out a comprehensive program, in addition to aiding you in honing your fitness goals.