So I haven't drank any alcohol since January 3rd! Kinda crazy. I was reading Bob Greene's book, 'Total Body Workout' and he had 5 simple eating rules to follow for 12 weeks, along with a fitness program.
5 Simple Eating Rules:
1. Have an eating cutoff time - Mine is 9pm. There are times when I get back from work late and I have to eat dinner past 9pm but most nights I really do stop at 9pm. I think this is a good guideline because it gives you less time to eat during the day.
2. Eat a nourishing breaktfast - I ALWAYS do this. It really is a must if you're trying to lose weight or be healthy. I definitely over eat if I don't eat breakfast. I usually eat my breakfast in the car on the way to eat. I make an english muffin with a veggie burger on it. YUMMY!
3. Drink a minimum of six 8-ounce glasses of water every day - This can actually be hard. I don't think 48 ounces is enough. A good rule I like to follow is to 1/2 your body weight and that's how much water you should be drinking. So if you weight 200 pounds you should drink 100 ounces of water per day.
4. Make eating a conscious act - This is so important. Isn't it what we all strive for?? It sounds easy but when you're standing there in the kitchen waiting for your healthy dinner to finish cooking isn't it hard to pass up those chips? Especially if you're starving. I feel like it's always something I will be working to accomplish. Snacking on blueberries or drinking some water or chewing gum does help though!
5. Eliminate alcohol - Yikes. This seemed to be the hardest of them all. But I wanted to put my body through a total body makeover right?? Well than I would have to give up the alcohol. It has not been as hard as I thought it would be and I only have 3 weeks left. I've had a few parties and a wedding to attend and I did not have one drop. I feel good. Not drinking alcohol makes a huge difference. The biggest is getting up in the morning. It is soooo much easier to wake up and I never have a hangover. It's wonderful!! Plus alcohol is a lot of empty calories that do not register with your body to make it feel full. I don't need empty calories from liquid when I love food! Another problem with alcohol is that I throw all my self control out the window after a drink or two. So I've saved calories in that way too!! Yes I miss it but I do think life is better without it. Anyone else tried to give up alcohol for a certain period of time??
Those are the rules I've been following since January 3rd! I think they're good and pretty simple to follow. Give it a try. Tell me what you think.