Enjoy your cookouts and football tailgates this weekend! High school and college football kickoff this weekend! Love it! And, that includes eating good food! The workouts keep everything in check! Here are some tips to help you navigate through the holiday food minefield:
1) Don't stop or slack off on your exercise program this Labor Day weekend! And, if you aren't exercising, then this would be a great time to start. I have a goal of at least trying to maintain my pre-holiday weight during the long weekend.
EXERCISE TIP: FLAG FOOTBALL IS GREAT EXERCISE AND FUN!
2) Go easy on the food condiments and other sauces. They are loaded with calories.
3) Stick to your normal nutrition plan as much as possible during the holiday. Go back to your normal nutrition on Tuesday!
4) This rule always applies to any day---if its fried, let it slide!
5) Alcohol has calories too---7 calories per gram to be exact. Don't tank it too much!
6) You don't have to eat until you are stuffed! Just eat enough to satisfy yourself.
7) Don't spend all of your time eating during the holiday. Walk around the mall for a couple of hours, walk the pets everyday, play flag football, cut the lawn, etc.
8) Drink lots of water and you will eat less.
9) Allow yourself one dessert a day (or a sample of a few) It's okay since you are going to exercise tomorrow----right?
10) Here's something that also works for the Labor Day holiday: start your day with a workout and toward the end of your day take a long walk in the park or at the lake.