I read that microwaving broccoli destroyed all of its antioxidants. Should I stop using my microwave oven?
Posted Oct 01 2008 8:12pm
No. The researchers in this study cooked the broccoli in 2/3 cup of water for 5 minutes at full power ( Journal of Science in Food and Agriculture, November 2003). Antioxidants were destroyed by the long cooking in water at a high temperature, not by microwaves. The study authors noted that it’s the length of time vegetables are exposed to hot water that determines the amount of water-soluble nutrients lost, whether the cooking is done in a microwave oven, steamer, pot or pressure cooker. Unfortunately, newspaper reporters misinterpreted the study and scared many people away from their microwave ovens. If you follow the standard instructions for microwaving vegetables, using just a tablespoon or two of water for a short time, the effect is similar to steaming and antioxidant loss will be minimal.