Everyone who knows me knows I have always and will always work out first thing in the morning. If it doesn’t happen in the morning, it won’t happen. No ifs ands or buts. Even if I have free time in the afternoon I can not and will not exercise. This mentality drives my husband crazy but I can’t help it. Many, many people find it so very difficult to get going in the mornings. But I do encourage you to give it a try. Yes, it will take time to make the adjustment but the benefits are worth it. And if you are a new mom - or any mom - who’s days are filled with kids activities you know it’s almost impossible to workout during the day. Getting up before the kids is a wonderful way to get your exercise in and have some time for yourself. My husband converted to a morning exerciser out of necessity. When the baby arrived he had to make adjustments. He started getting up early and getting his workout in. It’s still hard for him some days but the benefit of getting it out of the way and spending his evenings with his daughter are worth it. Here are 7 of MY reasons for working out first thing in the morning and maybe they can help you...
1. Exercising in the morning energizes me for the day. And there is a huge gratifying feeling of knowing I’ve done something disciplined and good for me. And with exercise done and out of the way I can enjoy my day without the thought of “when am I going to exercise?” hanging over my head all day.
2. If you really want to make exercise a true priority, it really isn’t that hard to get up about 30 to 60 minutes earlier. Yes, it’s hard at first but your body adjusts quite quickly and you may end up getting addicted to it. And an added bonus is you will probably start to sleep better at night!
3. For me (and many others), exercise helps keep my appetite in check for the rest of the day. Not only do I eat less junk food but I seem to choose healthier portions of healthier foods. Amazing! And did you know activity causes the release of endorphins, which in turn diminishes appetite? All the more reason to work out in the morning!
4. Morning workouts are a great time to plan your day or just think more clearly. It’s the perfect opportunity to think about the day or the week’s plans, organize your thoughts, or make mental to-do lists. Are minds are most sharp when exercising. Studies have shown that exercise significantly increases mental acuity—a benefit that lasts four to ten hours after your workout ends.
5. This is a big one for me (and most moms) - Exercising first thing in the morning ensures that no other appointments, emergencies or just daily life gets in the way of your goals. By afternoon and evening it’s so easy to find excuses why you can’t work out. You’re tired, you need to make dinner, you had a long day. All are valid reasons but this is how you get to the point of waking up one day and realizing you are 15 pounds overweight.
6. Want to be a regular exerciser? The majority of people who exercise consistently have a morning fitness routine. If you want to exercise on a regular basis, the odds are in your favor if you squeeze your workout into the a.m.
7. Exercising early in the morning "jump starts" your metabolism, keeping it elevated for hours, sometimes for up to 24 hours! As a result, you’ll be burning more calories all day long—just because you exercised in the morning.