The bird dog exercise is a great core exercise with special emphasis on strengthening your low back. Low back pain affects nearly 85% of all adults at one time or another. The best solution for any injury is prevention. Include the bird dog exercise in your program
1. Start by placing yourself on hands and knees.
2. Slowly raise your opposite arm and opposite leg and extend them out away from the body. Keep your back straight. Your extended arm and leg should line up with your torso. Tighten your abdominals and contract your glutes. Hold for 3 seconds.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other side.
4. Repeat for the desired repetitions.
5. Always keep this movement slow and controlled.
The bird dog exercise will also improve your balance. Have fun!