The right equipment will go a long way in helping you enjoy the race. You will normally get a list of equipment with each race, but here are a few tips to help you out.
1. Always go in for equipment that is lightweight and easy to use.
2. Invest in good quality stuff even though it may cost a little more.
3. Always carry a whistle - and it should be on you. This comes in very handy when things go a little off.
4. Don't wait till the day of the race to try on your new equipment. Believe me, the race is not the time to make discoveries about the new stuff you just bought.
5. Finally, test your equipment in situations similar to the actual race conditions. For example, under the rain, or when its snowing.