Putting on New Shoes and Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone
Posted Mar 09 2013 2:00pm
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
By Lori Hanson
Can you count the times you’ve stepped out of your comfort zone in life on one hand? If so, you might need help to understand the benefits and why it is so rewarding. I remember as a shy young girl being petrified to ask a store clerk for help to find something. I can’t remember why it scared me, but I hated it. Now if I don’t find what I want within the first minute in a store I’m looking for someone I can ask for help so I’m in and out quickly. Things have changed, I learned how to step out of my comfort zone.
Life is a journey composed of a series of lessons. Often to learn the biggest lesson you’ve got to step out of your comfort zone and reach for something more, something new. If you keep getting stuck in the same type of relationships, keep getting jobs and having issues with the boss or co-workers…hmm it might just be you who needs to adjust.
When you first realize it, it can bring up intense denial, “Who me change? Nah, it’s them…” But if the pattern keeps repeating in your life, and you’ve had enough you can take steps to move forward, collect the key points from this lesson and be ready to apply them in the new zone.
FEARLESS FEELS FANTASTIC!
When you are evaluating doing something you’ve never done before you can ask yourself these questions to get you started.
1. What is the biggest risk in doing this? (I could fail, I could be embarrassed, I could lose my job..)
2. What is the biggest advantage of doing this? ( I could accomplish a life-long goal, I could get promoted, I could be happier)
3. Can I deal with the worst case scenario?
4. Which feels better, staying where I am today and reaching out and doing something new?
5. What do I really want?
6. Will I get what I really want by staying on the path I’m on today?
7. What scares me the most about doing this and how can I accept the fear and do it anyway?
By taking the time to contemplate the risk vs. reward and chunking it down into smaller pieces, you can find the way to put on your new dancing shoes and step out of your comfort zone.
“Every big reward, every big thing in life comes from taking that step and rewarding yourself by doing something you weren’t sure you could do, but did.” Lori Hanson
Be fearless and you can achieve everything you want in life. So what do you want to do that is out of your comfort zone?