Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Can you force a minor to get help?

Posted by help4mysister

I recently found out my younger sister is has bulimia.  After a large meal I cought her purging in the bathroom. She admitted to suffering from this disorder for a while.  She refuses to get help. Ive made appointments for her but I cant get her in the car.. what can I do?
Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

If she is under 18, you need to tell your parents. Honestly, I would tell them anyway. She is engaging in a dangerous behavior and needs all the help and support she can get. Depending on where you live, they may be able to get her into a treatment program without her consent.

The sad reality, though, is that she will need to want to get better. Right now, that doesn't seem to be the case. The right treatment may help that, but it is very hard fighting an eating disorder. 

Your sister is very lucky she has such a loving older sister. I wish you and her the best.

NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: