I had the pleasure and privilege of posting on the topic of “How do We Define Recovery” on the Voice in Recovery Blog . In case you haven’t heard of the site, you should definitely check it out. Kendra is a passionate Scorpio and full time Advocate for Eating Disorder and Body Image Awareness.
Writing on that topic of defining recovery really got me thinking about what recovery means to me. I talk a lot about recovery being an individual path and one that is not always perfect. I also believe that there are some signs of recovery in our lives that are so beautiful and would like to share with you some of my own.
What recovery means to me…
1) It means getting inspirational comments like this:
Because of this site I am doing really well right now so I have to thank you for that
You’ve probably forgotten me! It’s over a year since I wrote last about your article about giving up bulimia etc and my diet etc. Things are going well and I will write back to you shortly with my loonnngg story about how I’ve lost weight which I’ll try keep very brief! But your original article sparked the first chord in me that got me going and I was wondering if I could use it in a book that I am writing?
Tess has stopped counting calories, fat, etc., and threw away her scale. Continues to work on thinking along positive lines – instead of negative thought patterns. Tess is finally making REAL progress. Still worries about her weight from time to time – but much easier to deal with that when the body/mind has proper nourishment! 13 years of dysfunctional eating (ending up in bulimia for the last few years) really depletes the body- as you know already!
We truly thank you for your advise & personal attention! You definitely helped Tess to realize that beating bulimia IS possible!
– A Mother of a child struggling with an eating disorder
Your article has given me the one thing I was missing which was hope. I never thought I would be able to fully recover or get rid of this demon controlling me. I am so so happy that you have and THANK YOU for putting it online.. I’m sure it has provided tons of people with inspiration and hope! I have it bookmarked under a smily face so I read it every day!
I’m not sure how long the recovery process will take but I know that I can do it.
If you have any tips please tell me.. I need all the help I can get!
Thank you again,
2) It means being able to get into a bikini at Malibu California and letting my boyfriend take this picture. Not once did I think about sucking my stomach in or worrying about looking fat
3) It means seeing this in my pantry for weeks and having no compulsion to consume it:
4) It means going to a meeting and having 3 cookies. That’s all I wanted, and that’s what I had.
5) It means being able to eat this dessert with my boyfriend at home last night
And seeing this left over in the morning:
6) It means being able to share this post with you all today and not being too hungover from a binge or too obsessed about what I am eating today to post it!
What does recovery mean to you? What are some signs of recovery that you would like to share?