You Know You Have a Child With Special Needs When.........
Posted Sep 12 2008 11:48am
* You compare ER's instead of grocery stores.
* You compare your child's oxygen saturations.
* You view toys as "therapy".
* You don't take a new day for granted.
* You teach your child HOW to pull things out of the cupboard, off the bookcases, and that feeding the dog from the table is fun.
* The clothes your infant wore last fall still fit him this fall.
* Everything is an educational opportunity instead of just having plain old fun.
* You cheer instead of scold when they blow bubbles in their juice while sitting at the dinner table (that's speech therapy), smear ketchup all over their high chair (that's OT), or throw their toys (that's PT).
* You also don't mind if your child goes through the house tooting a tin whistle.
* You fired at least 3 pediatricians and can teach your family doctor a thing or two.
* You can name at least 3 genes on chromosome 21. (You really know your toast if you can spell the full names correctly!!)
* You have been told you are "in denial" by at least 3 medical or therapy professionals. This makes you laugh!
* You have that incredible sinking feeling that you've forgotten SOMETHING on those few days that you don't have some sort of appointment somewhere!
* You get irritated when friends with healthy kids complain about ONE sleepless night when they're child is ill!
* Your vocabulary consists of all the letters OT, PT, SP, ASD, VSD, IFSP, etc.
* You keep your appointment with the specialist even though a tropical storm is raging because you just want to get this one over with.....you waited 8 months to get it.....and besides, no one else will be there!
* Fighting and wrestling with siblings is considered PT.
* Speech therapy occurs in the tub with a sibling.
* When the Doctors/Specialist/Hospitals etc. all know you by your name without referring to your chart.
* You keep a daily growth chart.
* You phone all your friends when your child sits up for the first time, at age two.
* With a big smile on your face you tell a stranger that your four year old just started walking last week.
* His medical file is several inches thick and growing.
* You have a new belief.....that angels live with us on earth.
Oh this is so true!! I don't think that there isn't a day that goes by without me getting on my knees, and thanking the lord for all of my blessings......and yes, even the trials!!!!!