Who doesn’t like peaches and apples? I am sure you can get peaches still at your local market. Well this sweet treat will be a favorite at any gathering or just to enjoy at home! As was discussed in my last newsletter about natural sweeteners you will notice this recipe incorporates maple syrup, YUM! Let me know if you make it, share a pic and feel free to re post on your facebook or twitter.
Maple Fruit Compote with Honey-Ginger Toasted Nuts
Ingredients: 2-3 apples 2-3 peaches or pears 2 tablespoons maple syrup 1/2 cup raisins juice of 1 lemon 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 cup walnuts or nuts of your choice 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced 2 tablespoons honey
Directions: 1. Wash, core and chop fruit into slices or chunks.
2. Place in a large saucepan with 1/3 cup of water. Add the maple syrup and raisins.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook for another 10 minutes, until soft.
5. While fruit is cooking, place chopped nuts in a skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring often, for 5
6. Drizzle honey over the nuts and add ginger, but keep stirring since the honey can easily burn.