This list of the top ten healthiest foods is from Healthy Eating. You can read the full article by visiting their site.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains monounsaturated (good) fats which have been shown to have some excellent health benefits. It's great for sauteéing vegetables and meats but don’t go overboard with this. One tablespoon is 120 calories.
2. Blueberries contain powerful antioxidants which may help lower LDL cholesterol. These antioxidants were rated #1 in a recent TuftsUniversity study that compared 40 fruits and vegetables. We're talking fresh blueberries here, not the kind you find in a blueberry pie!
3. Yogurt contains healthy bacteria which helps boost your immune system, fight infection, and improve your gastrointestinal health. It is an excellent source of calcium and B vitamins. Choose low fat and low sugar yogurts; read the nutrition label. Dannon has a Light ‘n Fit yogurt which is only 3 carbs, 2 grams sugar, and 60 calories.
4. Broccoli is high in antioxidants and loaded with vitamin C, calcium and folic acid. Broccoli is high in soluble fiber and low in calories. I love broccoli and it’s so easy to make. I wrap it in a moistened paper towel and microwave it for about 3 minutes.
5. Spinach is very high in antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K, as well as potassium and folate. Spinach is one the healthiest foods you can eat. Calorie for calorie, not many foods can match the nutritional benefits and low calorie content of spinach and other green, leafy vegetables such as kale and Swiss chard.
6. Tomatoes are high in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, and have many other health benefits. Tomatoes are packed with vitamins A and C, as well as potassium. Enjoy a salad every day as a snack or before dinner.
7. Apples aid in lowering cholesterol, prevent numerous types of cancer, and have health benefits related to many other conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease, asthma, and diabetes. Apples are high in antioxidants and contain high amounts of vitamin C and fiber. One of my favorite snacks is apple slices dipped in organic crunchy peanut butter. The fat in the peanut butter slows down the absorption of sugar.
8. Salmon is loaded with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Choose wild salmon over farm raised.
9. Sweet potatoes are one of the good carbs for good reason: they're nutrient-rich foods which contain high amounts of fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C. They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and have been shown to stabilize blood sugar levels, which helps you feel fuller for longer periods of time.
10. Almonds are loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats and contain protein, fiber, potassium, and calcium. They are rich in vitamin E and potassium and have been shown to lower cholesterol levels, reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, and have cancer fighting properties as well.
It's important to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, not only for your nutritional needs but also to give you food that tastes good. Try to incorporate more of the top ten more often.
Copyright 2008 by Gloria Chadwick. All Rights Reserved.