2 oz herbed goat cheese 6 sun-dried tomato halves 1/4 tsp salt Freshly ground black pepper 4 basil leaves 1/2 clove garlic 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 1/2 tsp sugar 1 tsp dried currants 1 tsp pine nuts, toasted 6 slices French bread
1. Form the cheese into a disk about 2 1/2" in diameter and place it on a plate.
2. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for 1/2 hour or cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Drain the tomatoes and reserve the liquid. Puree the tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a small food processor or blender. Spoon the pureed mixture over the goat cheese. (This can be done in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator for 2 days. Take out of the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for 1/2 hour before serving.)
4. Bring the reserved tomato water, vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small pot and reduce until the quantity is about 1 tablespoon and very syrupy. Watch closely, once the mixture becomes syrupy, it burns in an instant. Add the currants and pine nuts.
5. Pour the syrupy mixture over the tomatoes and goat cheese. Served with sliced French bread.
Serving Size: 1/6 torte (minus the bread) Nutrition Facts: 91 Calories, 3g Total Fat,2g Saturated Fat, 4mg Cholesterol, 297mg Sodium, 12g Total Carbs, 1g Dietary Fiber, 4g Protein, 26% Calories from Fat, 19% Calories from Protein, 55% Calories from Carbs