Dear Dr. Ellie
I just started the system, xylitol 5-7x/day and all the rinses and paste, and already notice more smoothness to my teeth. I will definitely give it the 2 years and probably the rest of my life since it is so easy.
I would like however to address the root of the problem which is my acidic saliva. I have tried in vain to raise this. I am a woman of 42 and 5 kids later I suppose this is not so uncommon to be acidic (I just got your book and read about how acidic we women are!).
The last 6 months I have been eating 1 lb of greens, 1 lb of broccolli, tablespoons of dried seaweed, sauerkraut, a glass of kefir, bone/vegetable broths or vegetable juices everyday with barely a budge in my first morning saliva. I don't drink coffee, soda, juices, etc. My water is bottled spring water and tests at about 6.5-7.0. My kids always have 7.0 or higher saliva (and no tooth decay, yay!) and are basically on the same diet with less of the vegetables (and they drink milk instead of water) so I'm beginning to question the role of diet in my case! However, I am not a high stress person, do not have a stressful job, have a good relationship with husband, seem to be fairly healthy, have been practicing yoga etc. - all the alkaline things.
The xylitol does raise my saliva nicely but after 15 minutes it's back between 6.0 - 6.5.
My question is, do you have any idea how to raise ph ? Do you ever see yours at 7.0 (other than after eating teeth friendly foods)? The funny thing is my urine has been alkaline these last 6 months - 7.0 or slightly above. I don't know what it was before that. I think I remember reading that it takes a while for saliva to change but HOW LONG?
I have read the book "The PH Miracle" which requires about 75% of the diet be raw or lightly cooked vegatables and no highly acidic foods for the remaining 25%. If that doesn't work the book mentions taking bicarbonate and carbonate salts of sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium. I didn't want to be that drastic but maybe that is the answer?
Thank you for taking the time to answer everybody's questions (even the same ones over and over again as I see on your blog). I think that means a lot to people. I know it does to me!
Thanks for your message.
I am happy to hear that you are using this system. I would give your saliva the same length of time as your teeth.
Nature has a more relaxed time frame than we do - and I think you should give yourself two years of good eating.
During this time try to experiment with your diet - mix and match.
Today I was reading about the interactions of fruits and vegetables - we have a lot to learn about this.
I know for example that you only get the benefits for eyes if you eat blueberries (or bilberries) with spinach and oils.
I have also read that if something tastes good it is more likely to be absorbed than if you are just "eating" for the sake of eating!
(Perhaps you should add sauteed caramelized onions, herbs etc - and enhance your veggies with added flavor)
I find sunshine invaluable.
I also find fish oil an essential on my supplement agenda.
You may want to try using some Probiotics.
After all, if you don't have the correct intestinal bacteria, you will not absorb the nutrients from your food properly.
Your gut bacteria are your main source of extracting nutrients from foods and "shipping them" into your blood stream.
Try a probiotic and see what happens ( I suggest pill form - don't rely on fermented foods.)
Please let me know in a month or two how this works for you.
I think we need to pool our experiences to help others who are struggling with similar issues.
Ellie Phillips DDS
Solutions for Oral Health!
author, Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye