I hadn't realized just how long it has been since I have posted. My life has been going in many directions lately and I've not been able to keep up with my blog. In all honesty, I'm not so sure if I can continue to keep up with it and am considering closing it down. My apologies to my followers in this long delay.
I had my 3 month follow up with my pulmonologist. All went well and I was given my first ever flu shot. When I go back in 3 months I'll then get the pneumonia vaccine. The visit did not entail a breathing test which is ok with me! He did, however, spend a lot of time with me on some heart issues that had shown up on an echocardiogram I had done back in August. I was surprised that he took so much time going over the results especially since he and my primary doctor had both said my heart is fine. My echo shows a septal aneurysm, some minimal mitral valve thickening, and some regurgitation in a couple of places. I could tell he was nudging me to see a cardiologist even though these findings may be nothing to worry about. He gave me two options, the first that I wait one year and get another echo, and the second to see a cardiologist now because he says that will give me peace of mind (well I wasn't worried about it until he brought it up, lol). So, I figure I'll just go ahead and make an appointment to see a cardiologist.
He asked me how I was feeling overall. I told him that I had struggled so badly during the incredibly hot and humid summer and was looking forward to the cooler weather to help with my breathing. But, now that the cooler weather is here, I am struggling pretty bad again. I told him this was a rude awakening for me and was down about it. He chuckled and said he could only imagine how I had my hopes up and then get deflated. He says there are some people that do well in one season or the other, and then there are those that don't do well in any season. I guess I'm one of the latter - lucky me, ugh. I sure wish I could afford the pulmonary rehab three times a week that he had prescribed to me months ago, but I can't, at least not yet.
I also had a follow up ultrasound on my thyroid. I have a multinodular goiter and my endocrinologist is following a few of the nodules to see if there's been growth. I picked up the lab results and the report said it remains stable, but when I compared it to the previous one there has been growth in several of the nodules (I have about 4 that are solid nodules and some calcifications) and my thyroid has grown in both lobes, so I have no clue why this radiologist reported it as unchanged/stable. I have a call out to my endocrinologist to explain this and also have an appointment to see her in February. I also am experiencing some really bad pain in my neck to the point where it's disruptive and my voice gets hoarse from time to time - both of these are warning signs and need to be checked. Normally I wouldn't be so analytical with these types of things, but ever since my primary doctor failed to diagnose me properly all these years with emphysema, I have become very proactive in my health.