You’ve known since you were in grade school that vitamins in your diet are very important. Your mother has probably said more than once “Eat that, it’s full of vitamins.” Even with this information, you probably have not learned which vitamins are the most important, and why.
Identifying the Foods with the Top 10 Healthiest Vitamins
Most packaged foods these days are labeled with nutritional information, as required by the Food and Drug Administration. You have to become a label reader. You also have to use other sources to find nutritional information for foods that do not contain labels. This is the only way to truly identify the foods that you need to get the vitamins that you require, and you may also need a vitamin supplement, such as a multivitamin.
The Top 10 Healthiest Vitamins You Need in Your Diet
1. Vitamin A – Vitamin A can be found in most dairy products. It helps to keep your vision healthy, as well as your skin and mucous membranes. It also serves as an important antioxidant.
2. Vitamin D – Vitamin D comes from milk, and from the sun. It is essential for strong bones and teeth.
3. Vitamin E – Vitamin E comes from most vegetables and whole grains. It is an antioxidant that aids in forming healthy blood cells, and it is essential for the immune system, the skin, and the lungs.
4. Vitamin K – Dark green leafy vegetables are full of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is especially helpful in blood clotting when you have a cut or when you have surgery.
5. Vitamin C – Vitamin C is found in most fruits and fruit juices. It is an antioxidant and is essential for a strong immune system.
6. Vitamin B1 – B1 comes from grains, and is important for the conversion of food to energy.
7. Vitamin B6 – Found in whole wheat, B6 helps to convert food to energy.
8. Vitamin B12 – Vitamin B12 is found in dairy products. It helps to produce healthy cells, and turns carbohydrates to energy.
9. Vitamin B2 – B2 can be found in meats and fish, and it aids the chemical processes in the body.
10. Vitamin B3 – B3 is found in dairy products. It not only converts food to energy, but is also important for a healthy brain.
How to Know if You Are Getting Enough of the Top Ten Healthiest Vitamins Each Day
The only way to ensure that you are getting the vitamins that you require each day is to first know what the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is for each vitamin, based on your individual diet, and then to read labels and other information for foods that do not have labels, such as fresh fruit and vegetables bought in the produce section. Without this, there is no way to determine that you are getting enough of the top ten healthiest vitamins that you require for healthy living.