Can't get any relief. Is this something that is typically treated with OTC products or does it need to be treated with antibiotics? What causes it, how to prevent it, and what can we use for any type relief from these symptoms?
As an acupuncturist this is my favorite thing to treat, since it responds so much better to acupuncture and herbs than to western medicine. If you can find an acupuncturist near you, it's well worth it -- you should feel a lot better after one treatment and much, much better after two. They can also give you some herbal formulas to help with symptoms and shorten the course of your cold. Chinese medicine is surprisingly good at this kind of thing.
If you can't get to a practitioner (and even if you can) here are some other things you can do:
1. obviously, drink lots of hot beverages, they'll help steam open your sinuses. try making a tea with any or all of the following ingredients: tangerine peel (or clementine, or orange), which helps resolve phlegm; green tea, which helps with headache; peppermint, which helps heat and dryness, and helps the body push the cold symptoms back out; licorice for sore throat and dryness; honey for dry throat or mucus membranes. if you have all the ingredients, it's actually pretty tasty all together.
2. avoid all sugar and dairy. They encourage phlegm production and add to the sinus pressure
3. Make sure you actually rest and give your body a chance to heal.
4. Do some self-massage -- find tender areas around the nose, eyebrows, forehead, and crown of the head, and massage them gently. this helps loosen phlegm and drain sinuses.
5. avoid antihistamines, they are drying and can make it harder for sinuses to drain
You've presented a broad scenario. I like Marilyn's suggestions.
Is your environment dry? Providing a moisture source can be helpful --
- a humidifier
- a pot of water set on the radiator
- run a washcloth under hot water, wring it out and breathe into it
- use a neti pot
- run a hot shower (perfect solution when staying in hotels with no open windows)
You get the picture.
- rub your fingers and toes from the first knuckle up to the tips.
- find the indentations under your eyebrows (ocular bones) and apply pressure....breathe! especially if it hurts.
Something you're eating could also be causing congestion. You may have reached a point where pesticides have overloaded your immune function. Consuming seasonal, locally grown, organic produce may help. (It's helped a lot of people).
I suggest looking into this New Silver Sol that are effectively proven to kill bacteria that are associated with the following: food poisoning, pneumonia, boils, eye infections, skin infections, meningitis, nosocomial infections (from hospitals), respiratory infections, scarlet fever, sinus infections, strep throat, tooth decay, urinary tract infections and MANY MORE... I have been taking this New Silver Sol for the past 2 weeks and it really help me with my asthma. I
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice,
diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your
physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere.
If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.