If you are still blessed enough with tomatoes from your garden, this is an excellent recipe to have right now.
4 medium-size vine-ripened tomatoes Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 4 large eggs 4 tablespoons shredded white cheddar cheese 4 slices toast, cut into strips
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Slice off and set aside the top third of each tomato. Scoop out the seeds.
3. Place the tomatoes in a glass or ceramic baking dish. Season with the salt and pepper.
4. Break an egg into each tomato.
5. Bake, with the sliced tops, for 10 minutes.
6. Top the tomatoes with the cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly, 5 to 7 minutes more.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with the tops and toast strips (also called “soldiers”-as your child might be delighted to know) for dipping.